Before Sunset - Celine's bawling (Car scene)
- Celine: I was thinking for me it's better I don't romanticize things as much anymore. I was suffering so much all the time. I still have lots of dreams but they're not in regard to my love life. It doesn't make me sad. It's just the way it is.
- Jesse: Is that why you're in a relationship with somebody who's never around?
- Celine: Yes. Obviously I can't deal with the day-to-day life of a relationship. Yeah, we have this exciting time together and then he leaves and I miss him but at least I'm not dying inside. When someone is always around me I'm like suffocating.
- Jesse: No way, you just said that you need to love and be loved.
- Celine: Yeah but when I do it quickly makes me nauseous. It's a disaster. I mean, I'm really happy only when I'm on my own. Even being alone it's better than sitting next to a lover and feeling lonely. It's not so easy for me to be a romantic. You start off that way and after you've been screwed over a few times, you forget about all your delusional ideas and you just stick what comes into your life. That's not even true. I haven't been screwed over. I've just had too many blah relationship. They weren't mean, they cared for me but there were not real connection or excitement. At least not from my side.
- Jesse: God, I'm sorry. Is that really that bad? It's not, right?
- Celine: You know, it's not even that. I was fine until I read your fucking book. It stirred shit up, you know. It reminded me how genuinely romantic I was, how I had so much hope in things and now it's like I don't believe anything that relates to love, I don't feel things for people anymore. In a way, I put all my romanticism into that one night and I was never able to feel all this again. Like, somehow this night took things away from me and I expressed them to you and you took them with you. It made me feel cold like if love wasn't for me.
- Jesse: I don't believe that.
- Celine: You know what, reality and love are almost contradictory for me. It's funny. Every single of my exes, they're not married. Men go out with me, we break up and then they get married. And later they call me to thank me for teaching them what love is, that I taught them to care and respect women.
- Jesse: I think I'm one of those guys.
- Celine: You know I wanna kill them! Why didn't they ask me to marry them! I would've said "no" but at least they could've asked! But it's my fault, I know it's my fault because I never felt it was the right man. Never! But what does it mean the right man, the love of your life? The concept is absurd, the idea that we can only be complete with another person is evil, right!
- Jesse: Can I talk?
- Celine: You know, I guess I was heartbroken too many times and then I recovered so now, you know, from the start I make no effort cause I know it's not gonna work out. I know it's not gonna work out.
The point is that when it comes to love and relationships, there’s always going to be the person who’s reading into every kiss, every text message, every gesture, while the other person is just YOLOing it up and having fun. I’m always the former. I’m always the person suffering from analysis paralysis.
(Source: , via sarahselfridge)
Quinn, you’re not as superficial as you act. I’m sure you just feel obliged to stress the moronic aspects of your personality so you’ll fit in better with the fashion drones. Like a mask you wear ‘cause you think they wouldn’t like the real you.
—Daria Morgendorffer (via 2pmslug)